Three weeks ago, I had an idea to do a series of portraits where fairy cats (wearing Victorian clothing) wore enormous flowers on their heads, instead of hats.
I was partially inspired by the Ascot racing scene in “My Fair Lady”, although my flower hats didn’t turn out nearly as gaudy as the hats featured in the film. I was also motivated by the desire to “paint more flowers”… seeing as my own garden is blooming and consuming much of my spare time. ;)
So I sketched a few ideas in my booth at the Apple Blossom Festival, and decided to turn it into a 12-part series of birth-month flowers. All of them will be acrylic paintings on canvas panels, measuring 5″x7”.
My first portrait, “Miss Daffodil”, is already complete and I have sold her via eBay auction.
Prints are available in my shop now, and other merchandise will be coming soon.
My second portrait in the series, “Miss Oriental Poppy”, (shown below) is currently up for auction on eBay. Bidding will end on Sunday, May 21st, at 12:21AM, EST.
Yes, I was burning the midnight oil with this listing. Usually I try to have auctions end by 11pm. Prints and merchandise will be available soon.
I am currently working on the third portrait, “Miss Violet”. I hope to have her finished by the end of this week, and her listing on eBay should be live on Sunday evening.
Here are the planned portraits in this series (although I won’t paint these in order):
• Miss Snowdrop (January) …. My birthday is in January, and I prefer snowdrops over carnations. ;)
• Miss Violet (February) …. IN PROGRESS
• Miss Daffodil (March) …. FINISHED
• Miss Sweet Pea (April)
• Miss Lily of the Valley (May)
• Miss Rose (June)
• Miss Larkspur (July) …. for some reason, I am reading “Miss Rose” and “Miss Larkspur” in a Southern accent! LOL
• Miss Poppy (August) …. FINISHED
• Miss Morning Glory (September) …. I believe I will choose Morning Glories over Asters, but I haven’t decided.
• Miss Cosmos (October)
• Miss Chrysanthemum (November)
• Miss Holly (December)
After I finish Miss Violet, I will be switching gears to complete my “Creepy Doll” painting for the Rabbit Hole Artist Collective’s auction next Tuesday, May 24th. I do hope to get the rest of these flower portraits finished over the summer, in between other larger pieces that I have scheduled. They will make really cute birthday greeting cards! :)